Days of Our Lives.....

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Was a Dual Porta-Cath the Right Decision?

I am guessing maybe not? I had my needles changed again today and with many attempts, only one port was accessed this time. The nurse just couldn't get it. She even went to get someone else to see if she was doing it right and the other nurse couldn't get it either. I said, well....I don'thave my next round of chemo until this coming Monday....let's just use the one port for now and before we get the chemo going on Monday, we can do the other one....ya, sounds good to me!!!!! Needless to say, again, the port site is very sore and I bleed very easily so you can imagine what that looked like. The had to stick me a couple of times before they could get the first one in. Maybe they need to chat with the guys downstairs who put this thing in to begin with and see if they can help with that.

On to the next thing...I am taking a new antibiotic for my mouth...of course it takes a couple of days before you can tell that it's working but at least they are trying!!

They put me on a new birth control pill to stop my period...for those of you who don't know (being in the hospital has killed my modesty) I have been bleeding since 10/24...........now that is a worlds record!!! This was the second day of this new stronger pill and I could tell that it had slowed up some....PRAISE GOD!!!!! The doctor wants my counts to build back up but loosing all this blood is defeating the purpose. I am hoping by tomorrow or Thursday it will have stopped. I will take slower for now and am thrilled with that. Let's pray that my counts will start to come back up and I can get the next round of chemo this coming Monday. I am ready to get this thing over with.

Keith just walked in the room so I will be getting off here for now.

In His Grip
Sharan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry they're having such a hard time with your port-a-cath. There is a cream they can put on the port to numb it before they stick it. Also be sure to sit up straight. I'm sure the nurses know these things, but just a few "tricks" I've seen them do that seems to make it a little easier. We're sending up extra prayers that everything will go as it should and your next test will be good.
Love ya!
Donna and Mark

November 6, 2007 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger LindaSue said...

Sharan - thanks for the update - re: porta caths and nurses. Our experience was that some of the pediatric unit nurses were LOTS more skilled with ports that had problems. Your team there knows your needs best -but I learned to be a bit more pushy advocate when I was fighting for a loved one than I ever would have done for myself. That port is very important to your treatment and comfort - so they oughta treat it so you are comfortable right? Hope that didn't give you a headache. Bless you, Sister of David - you are prayed for -

November 6, 2007 at 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home